Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Eleanor Longden: The voices in my head - YouTube

Whilst perusing the listing of TEDtalks, I came across this gem which has once again opened a Pandora's box of thinking in regards to how mental illness is seen and dealt with in society. So much of her experience I can relate to but in the end Longden, like so many others, has been able gain valuable insight into the inner workings of her mind. To some degree, her schizophrenia can be viewed as a gift which allowed her to be aware of her emotions and motivations. Something that many of us seek through our explorations of spirituality, through meditation or prayer. It makes me ponder this so called veil of normalcy, or as Longden puts it this, "well crafted veneer."

Like Longden I was lucky, after previous failures with therapists, I came across one that looked beyond my diagnosis. My shrink was decent, my psyche nurse was the bomb, but I didn't do so well with therapists after 7 tries though I hit pay dirt. Longden had a similar experience and was told, it would almost have been better if she’d had cancer because it would be easier to cure.

"A broken and haunted person began that journey but the person who emerged was a survivor and would ultimately grow into the person I was destined to be."


2 comments:

  1. I am not saying that you will get any benefit from TT. But otoh bi-polar and diabetes both have an association with disrupted circadian rhythms. And in any case, what you can find at TrueTyme.org is for xtra cool, anti-establishment types, like you. So you might like at least reading about it.

    Regards, Yale and Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will take a look and see as I am always open to new input; thank you. As for the whole sleep issue, I have long "given-up" in trying to "fix" it. I now just go-with-the-flow and let my body and mind tell me when it wants to sleep. It can make for some long and tiring days, but I deal with it instead of stressing over it. Thankfully my boss (and job) give me flexibilty if issues arise :)

    ReplyDelete