Friday, June 27, 2014

Local Wiccan uninvited to give city council invocation due to ‘community fears’ (poll) | WHNT.com

A great example of why it's best if local governments avoid invocations before meetings altogether,,,

WHNT News 19 confirmed with Huntsville City Attorney Peter Joffrion that Blake had been asked to give the invocation Thursday, but when the agenda was released publicly earlier this week, several council members received community concerns about ‘a Wiccan’ being invited to speak.

[,,,]
“I gave the invocation earlier this year, at the time they did not ask me what my faith affiliation was, but when they did this time and I told them ‘Wiccan,’ I was told I was no longer invited to give it,” Blake told WHNT News 19 from his home Thursday night.

WHNT News 19 made several attempts to get comment from city council members and Mayor Tommy Battle, but all questions were directed to city attorney Joffrion Thursday evening.

Local Wiccan uninvited to give city council invocation due to ‘community fears’ (poll) | WHNT.com

No comments:

Post a Comment