Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Leading evangelical ethicist David Gushee is now pro-LGBT. Here's why it matters. - On Faith & Culture

The other day when I initially posted this story in one of the groups I follow, my reaction was, "This is huge!!" And it still is, in my mind anyways. You see, there is one specific point Merrit makes that I agree with,

"While other pro-LGBT Christian activists — including Justin Lee of the Gay Christian Network and Matthew Vines, author of “God and the Gay Christian” — have been dismissed in some circles as wet-behind-the-ears youngsters without formal theological training, Gushee, 52, is a scholar with impeccable credentials. He can add intellectual heft to what has largely been a youth-led movement, and is not someone who can be easily dismissed.**

I have been out of the faith for over 20 yrs now and to be honest the whole "gay christian" debate was over for me in my early 20s long before my de-conversion. It hasn't been till recently that it has emerged as a topic of interest where I was willing to put any energy or continual thought into the subject. Though as a non-believer it is more from a counter-apologetic POV and my views haven't changed all that much; maybe just a bit more nuanced when necessary.

That aside, I will very very curious as to Gushee's theological reasoning and how he supports it (I will be purchasing his book ASAP). In all actuality, if one studies the 6 standard clobber passages in the proper historical, cultural and sociological context, homosexuality as we know it the 21st century is not in the Bible. What is, cultic temple prostitution and worship of Ashteroth (OT) and Cybele (NT).

What the subject ultimately boils down to in regards to the Levitical passages, unless one accepts every OT law or prohibition and punishment as authoritative for Christians in the "leteral" (not a jot or tittle shall in no wise pass away from the law), manner in which it is written, what alternative hermeneutical principle is to be employed?


**This statement has its detractors, something I will hit in another post as it is an intriguing aside.

Leading evangelical ethicist David Gushee is now pro-LGBT. Here's why it matters. - On Faith & Culture

No comments:

Post a Comment