Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Nebraska man charged in burning of neighbor’s gay pride flag calls it a prank: ‘I have gay friends’

Why do people think that "having gay friends" makes their stupidity any more palatable?  If you're an asshole drunk, guess what you're just an asshole

A Nebraska man, accused of stealing a neighbor’s gay pride flag and setting it on fire in front of their home apologized for the “confusion” he created, saying it was only a “prank,” reports KETV.

Cameron Mayfield, 23, is accused of stealing the flag from the home of a neighborhood gay couple at the beginning of March and now faces felony charges of arson aggravated by a hate crime.

Police received a call from the women who identified Mayfield and, while investigating, found the burnt remains of the flag in his basement.

According to Mayfield’s father, his son had been drinking the night before the incident. 

“My client wants to apologize for the foolish stunt he committed on March 1,” said James Martin Davis, Mayfield’s lawyer. “He was intoxicated.”

Speaking with the press, Mayfield searched for a word to explain his actions, finally choosing “prank,” adding, “I have gay friends and I apologize to my neighbors. I’m sorry for the confusion. I don’t hate anybody or anything.”
 
Nebraska man charged in burning of neighbor’s gay pride flag calls it a prank: ‘I have gay friends’

See also:   Attorney: Man accused of burning gay pride flag was pulling drunken prank, not committing hate crime

No comments:

Post a Comment