Sunday, February 7, 2016

Four ID themselves as survivors of sexual abuse – ABQJournal Online

The four, identified in lawsuits as John or Jane Does, told about 100 people that they were abused as children by priests, and described their later battles with guilt, shame and substance abuse. The disclosures followed those in December of two men who are suing the archdiocese.

“For me, I find this is a way to shed the guilt and shame I carried around for 40 years,” said John Lund, 54, who contends he was repeatedly raped by Clive Lynn in the early 1970s when Lynn pastored St. Therese of the Infant Jesus Parish in Albuquerque.
,,,
Both women said they were sexually abused as girls by Walter Cassidy while he pastored at Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish in the late 1960s. Cassidy also pastored at churches in Taos and Mora. He died in 1994.

“This monster took my innocence from me,” said Diana Abeyta, 56, of Santa Fe who said Cassidy raped her repeatedly from the ages of 8 to 10 when she sang in the choir at her family church. “He used his authority to threaten me, to frighten me. I thought he was my only chance of getting to heaven because he was doing God’s work.”
,,,
Louie Toya, 54, a member of Jemez Pueblo, attended St. Catherine Indian School in Santa Fe in his early teens, where he alleges in a lawsuit he was raped by Dennis Huff, a Franciscan brother. Toya said he ran away from the school and struggled with alcoholism for much of his life.

Four ID themselves as survivors of sexual abuse – ABQJournal Online

No comments:

Post a Comment