Saturday, February 6, 2016

Knowing, and not knowing, a Catholic pedophile | HeraldNet.com - Julie Muhlstein

A day after my husband died in 1998, Sister Dolores Crosby showed up on my doorstep. She handed me a used paperback. It was “When Bad Things Happen to Good People” by the rabbi Harold Kushner.

I considered Crosby a friend, although not a close one. From 1992 to 1999, she was the respected and well-liked principal of Everett's Immaculate Conception & Our Lady of Perpetual Help School where my kids went to school.

And now? I'm stunned. That was my reaction to seeing Crosby's name — the only woman on the list of 77 names released Friday by the Catholic Archdiocese of Seattle. According to the archdiocese, the listed people either admitted to sexually abusing children while serving as Catholic clergy or the church found that allegations against them were credible.

Crosby, who retired from Immaculate in 1999, was 73 when she died in 2007 in her native Spokane. The niece of famous crooner Bing Crosby, she had also worked at Holy Rosary School in Edmonds and St. Frances Cabrini School in Pierce County in the 1970s, and for 13 years at Our Lady of the Lake School in Seattle.

Knowing, and not knowing, a Catholic pedophile | HeraldNet.com - Julie Muhlstein

No comments:

Post a Comment