Wednesday, March 22, 2017

When a wingnut cries foul (pt 7)

Yea, Yea I'm still ranting about this,,,

In the end, yes I am arguing semantics to some degree, but very important semantics when it comes to demonizing people.  The meme specifically talks of Muslim refugees and transgender crime in restrooms.  There is a difference between a refugee, asylum seeker, and immigrant.  There's a difference between a transgender individual and a pedophile or rapist.  A point TW either doesn't understand or chooses to ignore.

Muslim refugees have to under go a 2-3 year vetting process before they step foot in the US.  TW did not provide any evidence of refugees partaking in widespread killings of Americans.  One example did speak to the possibility of refugee status, but not confirmed; as well as being a possible DV incident.

I happen to trust that my gov'ts vetting process is sufficient in weeding out the bad.  Statistic bear that point.  To imply otherwise is disingenuous.  BUT,,, had TW stuck solely to what she presented while still misapplied, I don't think I would be "harpie" she calls me.  "There is no justification for blanket agitation against foreigners." And that IMO is what she and others of her ilk are doing.

You see, she lost me at the conflated narrative of a "Swedish rape crisis".  A nefarious plot that includes Bush, Clinton, and Obama.  Hidden information and agendas; media manipulation going so far as false flags and fake news.  Global domination and NWO.    At one point, as I noted in one graphic, she cites the 3 biggest "conspiracies" to support her claims.  Get my point?!

BUT I lost all respect for TW as a person when she did this:

Neither Deb nor myself where having any of it.  And Deb was much more eloquent in handling the "situation" as by this point I was boiling with rage and had to shut up

Her bullshit gets worse and TBH I have no fucking clue what TW is talking about because she slaughters terminology so bad.  Is she talking drag queens? Drag kings? Pre or post op transgender individuals (MtoF/FtoM)? Butch or femme lesbians?  I really have no clue.  One thing I did notice after a re-read, is that TW may display traits of one with paraphilia.  Specifically, Gynemimetophilia which is sexual attraction to male-assigned people who look or act like women, including genetically male cross-dressers.  I guess if the shoe fit,,,

Anyways, I digress,,,

As I have stated, Deb and I in no way insinuated the issues surrounding Islam are imaginary.  Refugees killing Americans on the other hand are.  There are no statistics to support that claim.  As to MtoF transgender individuals assaulting women or children in restrooms, again there are no statistics that point to that as being an issue - the usual anecdotal evidence will be addressed shortly.
Initially I was going to hit on TW's poor use of language and terminology.  I realized, as I was trying to put this post together, I am not knowledgeable enough to even attempt to explain where or why she is wrong.  You know that saying about being able to explain something to a child?  Not me in this case!  I am still gaining understanding for myself.

As Deb notes, "Do you not understand that gender and sexuality are two different things?" That is about the limit of what I understand without some hardcore study into the issue.  Some thing that is blatantly obvious TW has not done, as she hits many RW talking points throughout her attempted rebuttal.
Obviously I do when I say I know transexual (transvestite) lesbians. by the way, when is the term transgender correct?, if you have big tits from silicone and a small dick from hormones are you a man or woman? Most transvestites are straight, I know, I am an attractive woman who used to hang out in gay bars.
Basically, "I can't be racist, I have ______(insert minority) friends."

Again, TW has no clue WTF she is speaking about,

I should note that while my knowledge to explain the psychological or sociological implications is weak, it is something I am trying to learn. As it has been explained to me, gender identity is someone's personal identification as a man, woman, or a gender outside of societal norms. For me, I identify as female.  And yes, I went through a time that I questioned my identity when I was younger.  Gender expression refers to characteristics and behaviors a person identifies with that can be viewed as masculine, feminine, a mix of both, or neither.  My expression would be a mix of both.  As I say, I am who I am.
This is, experts who follow these issues closely have told me, a very common mistake in analyses of gender research. A lot of old studies look at outdated definitions or mix up concepts like gender identity and expression. So when people like Friedman come along and try to apply these findings to our current understanding of gender identity, they end up — perhaps inadvertently — conflating different concepts. http://www.vox.com/2015/8/24/9197789/new-york-times-transgender-research
As for the Tucker Carlson video, I wouldn't want either to be a proxy in a debate.  No offense meant to Mr. Petkanas, he is about as clueless as I.  He is a former opera singer turned pol and  has no qualifications other than opinion to speak on such matters.
Gender isn't a "debate." No, there's no absolute standard and nor should there be. Why the fuck does it matter if you don't know what gender someone is? ,,,  Treat them as a PERSON and if you can't do that then maybe you shouldn't go out in public unless it's an emergency.
Carlson is just a douche and to choose him as your proxy in a debate is as revolting as you are.

So let's get to the crux of TWs argument, transgender individuals (primarily MtoF) assault women and children in bathrooms.  So where is your evidence for such a claim?

Hint, there isn't any! 

I have spent the last 10-12 days verifying that such still holds true as my initial information is from 2-3 years ago when Mike Huckabee and Michelle Duggar gave added fuel to this myth.  But, as Media Matters pointed out in 2014,  experts from 12 states have thoroughly refuted this talking point.

In another investigation the following year (2015), Media Matters also found that 17 school districts around the country with protections for trans people, had no problems with harassment in bathrooms or locker rooms after implementing their policies.

Flash forward to 2016, the numbers still held with "experts and government officials in 16 states and the District of Columbia, and school administrators in 23 school districts and four universities" maintaining that pro-trans policies are not an issue.

A point also noted by MM,  "predator" arguments have been used and debunked in the past. “We are not the first people who have been called predators for political gain,” says Mara Keisling, executive director of the National Center for Transgender Equality and a transgender woman. “Look most recently at Donald Trump saying Mexican immigrants were rapists. There’s a long, really horrifying history of demagogues and fundraisers saying, ‘Hey, those people over there, we have to hate them because we have to keep our women and children safe.’” Advocates have circulated old propaganda like videos saying “the homosexual” lurks in the bathroom waiting to prey on young boys. Arguments about bathrooms were used to justify segregation and helped doom the Equal Rights Amendment.
A sexual predator isn't going to give 2-shits about a "bathroom law".  That's what a more rational person would understand, not so with these idiots.  Everyone knows that rapists or pedophiles won't be willing to risk breaking the law against going into the ladies' restroom! 

But forcing these men to use the ladies room is going to cause problems.

Would you ask Laverne Cox to use the men's room?

This whole notion I think is summed up by Cox when she stated this in response to a Katie Couric's question concerning transition surgery,
I do feel there is a preoccupation with that. The preoccupation with transition and surgery objectifies trans people. And then we don't get to really deal with the real lived experiences. The reality of trans people's lives is that so often we are targets of violence. We experience discrimination disproportionately to the rest of the community. Our unemployment rate is twice the national average; if you are a trans person of color, that rate is four times the national average. The homicide rate is highest among trans women. If we focus on transition, we don't actually get to talk about those things.
None of that seems to matter to TW or other individuals of her ilk.  As ACLU staff attorney Chase Strangio explains in the Media Matters video above:
So basically, the idea is, We can’t protect trans people, because if we do, everyone is going to pretend to trans so they can go into the bathroom and assault the people they really wanted to assault, but they can’t, because there was no legal mechanism for them to do so. That’s ridiculous.
That is the mentality TW is promoting and arguing.

No comments:

Post a Comment