Tuesday, September 12, 2017

ADDENDUM::Doreen Virtue, Popular New Age Author, Becomes Christian & Renounces New Age Movement | Reasons for Jesus

ADDENDUM:: Doreen Virtue’s conversion to Christianity sparks debate

I find the reaction to Virtue's news very disconcerting and troubling on many levels. One thing that strikes me, and speaking from my experience in the world of woo, is the reliance on another for self-understanding and identity, the inability to function without confirmation from the self-described guru
Barkers says, “Doreen Virtue has played a really big part in my life and…she has been such a spiritual parent to me guiding me helping me and teaching me a lot of the things I need to know to help other people. There’s a certain fear that comes with everything she’s done because all of the classes I’ve taken from her, and I’ve given Hay House and Earth Angel a lot of money. It’s kind of diff for me in a way to think about the validity. I know that those classes really, really helped me…but in the back of my mind sometimes I wonder, was it even real?”
While one may gain insight into self, this "guru status", or the putting of one on a pedestal, is prevalent within the world of spiritual-woo.  And just as it is a dangerous practice in the secular world, especially when one falls off that pedestal, so to is it in the world of woo.  More so when doesn't think for themselves and rely on revelation.
“It’s hard when a spiritual teacher of any sort renounces teachings that had a great impact on their life” Auryn said. “This provides a great opportunity for discernment, was she misled then or is she misled now? Were her followers misled or was she, or both? In the end, her practice or the practice of any other human being doesn’t really effect my own. As Witches, we tend not to be purists, but rather taking what works for us and what we resonate with and discarding what doesn’t. As Witches, we walk a solitary road at the end of the day regardless of who our teachers or role models were.”
One point I missed in the Bancarz peice, and find disgusting,
Virtue was interviewed Friday by Steven Bancarz, a former New Age blogger who became born-again last year and now runs the Biblical justification website Reasons for Jesus. On the site, he calls Virtue “one of the most influential figures ever involved in the New Age” and writes that while she has “renounced the New Age movement,” he hopes Virtue evolves even further to denounce the tarot and angel cards completely as well as join a Church that is more restrictive of LGBTQ+ rights. “This is a big step in the right direction.”
“And as I was looking at her, all of a sudden the scene changed.  She disappeared, the church disappeared, all of the people disappeared, and there was Jesus right in front of me. Standing there.  Well, floating really.  And He was glowing, and He was glowing so brightly…it was this glow all around Him and especially from his heart, and the glow was this candle-like colour, and this smile on his face.  

And he was looking at me, but it wasn’t a sense of me personally like my ego, it was a sense of everyone that included me, and when I saw him it was a whole different experience than I had ever had in seeing the angels or in any of the work I had done.  This was the most three dimensional experience I have ever seen.  

And I was blown back in my chair.  I don’t know how long it lasted, but all I know is that when he showed up a few things became my knowledge.  I went from believing to knowing that He is real, that he knows who I am, who knows who everyone is.  Not in a judgey way, but in a compassionate ‘I-hope-that-you’ll-do-the-mission’ type of way.
,,,
She also shared with them that she can no longer write about anything that isn’t scriptural, wants to take the Ascended Masters books and cards out of print, and will only be writing Christian themed material from here on out.  From publishing dozens of New Age works to refusing to receive royalties and produce anything that is not Christian is a huge shift, especially of an author of this size.

Doreen Virtue, Popular New Age Author, Becomes Christian & Renounces New Age Movement | Reasons for Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment