Sunday, December 14, 2014

No homos in my church (pt 3)

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil."
Matt 5:17
__

In my first post I briefly outlined the hermeneutical principles I was taught and still follow to this day.  The second post discussed one view in resolving the apparent OT God vs NT God discrepancy, briefly highlighting what Anderson ignores, context and the concept that one verse does not make a theology.  While I like the first view, I feel it doesn't go far enough in completely resolving the issue or addressing Anderson's poor hermeneutics of "God said, I believe it that settles it."  It is not that simple as you will see.

Taking into consideration the examples in my previous post, let's take this one step further and throw another wrinkle not considered by Anderson's "one verse theology."  Jesus is God too! (John 1:1, 14; 8:57-59 [cf. Exodus 3:14]; 10:30; 20:28)

[Bare in mind that the doctrine of the Trinity is not a biblical concept.  It was first put forth by Tertullian, in the early 3rd century.  It wasn't until the Council of Nicea (325 CE) set out to officially define the relationship of the Son to the Father, in response to the controversial teachings of Arius.]

You see by Anderson focusing on just one passage, he misses the opportunity of bringing the message of the Levitical passage full circle; the synthesis of the OT and NT through Christ.  "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.." (John 1:14 )  No matter how much we would like to simply dismiss the OT, we can't. Without the OT there is no NT, there is no Christ. Everything in the NT is built on the foundation of the Old Testament. 

Anderson is a fire and brimstone type preacher who feeds off instilling fear of God's wrath in manipulating his congregation.  He teaches his listeners (just as he was taught) about the horrors of hell, the dangers of sin and the terrors of being lost.  Very rare, if at all (I have listened to 5 or 6 of his "sermons"), do you hear him preach of redemption through Christ; of "life everlasting."   Because of this loathing, this self-hatred, he misses this, "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil."  Matt 5:17

Like any Christian, I struggled with this conundrum - how to be Christ-like but yet follow the OT.  From an apologetic standpoint there is a way to rectify this situation but in the end, I always seem(ed) to be banging a silent drum.  Many within the Church who rely on this passage (Lev 20:13) can't (or couldn't) see through the lenses of their rose-colored glasses.  Eventually after years of trying I gave up even though I had the likes of Rev. Dr. Jane Spahr, Rev. Dr. Mel White and (now) Bishop Gene Robinson forging the way.  As I wrote recently in regards to the documentary For the Bible Tells Me So,
The devastating effects of religion are very evident.  So I struggle.  I struggle with my hatred of religion and any individual or group that use it as a weapon.  I struggle with my hatred of the Bible, used as a sword to lop off the heads of undesirables.  I struggle with compassion,,,
What I no longer struggle with is my homosexuality!

But I digress,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment