"The truth of the matter is that just because you have a mental illness; does not mean you are violent. I know that each person needs to be evaluated on an individual basis, but I believe that includes every individual, not just those of us who have a diagnosis; sane people murder, too."
In my opinion individuals with bipolar are more apt to be self-destrucive in their actions rather than violent towards others (ie. Mel Gibson, Linsday Lohan, Brittany Spears and Mike Tyson come to mind.) We lack impulse control when manic. Those of us that have psychotic features to our mania, our brains are to scattered to carry our complex tasks. When I am in meltdown, I'm lucky I remember how to dress myself.
I feel that those that commit violence, already had those plans in mind prior to the incident; their little plots, to save humaniuty from the evils of the world, were pre-existing and festering in their sick heads (by that I mean don't mean mentally ill sick.)
Most people that I know with a diagnosed illness are hard working, straight up people who know they have problems. They have taken steps to ensure their well-being, and surrounded themselves with caring and supportive people. Many have struggled finding the proper care, but they have taken the initiative in getting what they need and not expecting the system to do all ther work for them.
But yet we still have those that appear to slip thro the cracks. It always seems to be them that get the headlines when something bad happens.
Are People with Bipolar Disorder Violent?
No comments:
Post a Comment